Beauty Tip: Dry Skin Brushing
One of my friends turned me on to the joy of dry skin brushing and I'll never give it up. I live for exfoliation especially in warmer weather. I have to have smooth, glowing skin or I don't feel like myself.Since I live in Houston, I get to experience a lot of warm weather, so I'm usually wearing less clothing a lot longer. Body brushing is invigorating, exfoliating and so damn easy! I do it two to three times a week to make my skin glow and give myself a little pick me up.
1. Get a body brush. My friend's body brushing recommendation included the Body Shop Cactus Body Brush and it's the one I use (and love!). Your brush is strictly for outside of the shower use, so if you love it, get two!
Benefits of dry skin brushing: Increased circulation, exfoliation, stress relief*, invigoration. (*my second fave on top of exfoliating. It's sooooooo relaxing).
2. Get naked, stand outside of the shower and rub your body! Start at your feet and work your way up your legs and to your heart. After I do my legs, I start on each arm, hands first and work my way towards my body. Then, my bum and back and finally my torso, use steady circular strokes. Remember to be gentle on sensitive skin! You want to mildly exfoliate, not rub your skin right off.
3. Hop into a warm shower. I use a gentle, moisturizing soap for this step since I've already sloughed off any dry skin and dirt. This is also a great time to shave your legs. Use the same pattern leading to your heart that you did while brushing.
4. Hop out of the shower and slather on a lightweight, moisturizing oil. I use a half and half mix of sesame oil and sweet almond oil but I've also found Neutrogena Body Oil to work in a pinch. In the Summer, the oil is enough moisture and gives my skin this beautiful sheen. During the winter, I layer a thicker lotion or butter (usually Shea) on top of the oils.
5. Let those oils sink in and enjoy your new baby soft skin!
FYI: This is not a sponsored post, but it does contain affiliate links. If you'd like more information on the links in this post, read my disclosure policy.
STYLIST + BLOGGER + BADASS